There is always conversation during this time of the year as to whether or not you should keep your house on the market during the holidays. Some say keep it up, others say don’t waste your time and take it down. I thought it prudent to give you my insight on why I think you SHOULD keep your house on the market during the holiday season.
1. More serious buyers during the holiday season. Let’s face it – the holidays are a busy time for everyone so if someone is adding “house hunting” to their list of to-dos, they are, by far, the most serious of the bunch.
2. Relocating families move throughout the year. If a family is moving because of a new job, relocation, etc., it doesn’t matter what day is on the calendar – they HAVE to move.
3. Allowing buyers to view a home during this most hospitable of seasons lets them better picture their own family life in the attractive environment that a seller has created. Think about it – when is your home in the best shape decoration and cleanliness wise? Not only is your house ready for family and guests, but it’s ready for buyers. The holidays are such a “warm and fuzzy” time – why not showcase that there’s no place like home for the holidays!
4. Reduced inventory to compete with during the holiday season. Take advantage of all the buyers who DID take their home off the market!
5. Some buyers prefer to look at homes when it’s easier to look and negotiations are less stressful. The holidays can be hectic, but at the same time a lot of folks are off during the season. Buyers are able to get in, look, offer and hopefully seal the deal!
I hope this answers some questions about the topic. Feel free to contact me for more information!
Lara Taylor – Realtor/Broker
Twitter – @AskForLara